Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Late Night Diner

I am excited because I had two cups of coffee and a bowl of chocolate icecream at 2 o'clock in the morning.

I went to the A-town diner with my friend, Lindsay. She is a studio Art major as well. She ordered french fries with her coffee.
We spoke about artists and the impact of art in our lives. She brought with her a book of paintings done by Alice Neel and I brought a book of art by Picasso. It is very strange to compare the two artists because there are similarities. Especially with an almost outline of the figure and flat colored bodies. When I look Neel's painting I feel as though the heads of her figures are constantly nodding because the head especially the face appears to have more weight than the whimsical body.
And... I've always loved Picasso. He has broken down and rebuilt realities, dimensions and imagination. His paintings have a curosity that lure the viewer and pull their eyes rapidly around the painting. The composition is usually very striking with masks figures, floating heads, lights, and people who appear to be emotionally on another plane.
I realized though, when Lindsay asked about my plan for the senior show that I am slightly nervous. I am anxious about my senior project. I want to create something... strong, but reflective. Existing, but only existing in part. Curious but plain. I think that is why I love painting and drawing sticks.

I was painting a nude figure today in class. I couldn't figure out the perspective and balence. I wanted to portray her realisticly, but I couldn't. Even with a lot of practice, I couldn't do it. I have doubts that I will never reach a finished image. And worse yet they transform into thoughts about not being good enough, or smart enough... it is an endless chain. I keep reminding myself that, I'll see this through because that's what I will learn to do. Tomorrow is a new day, and I will be back in the painting studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment