Saturday, September 12, 2009

Painted Chest


In 2006 my grandfather gave me a trunk to take to College. When I got the trunk in my dorm, I created a painting for it. The painting is strange. I love poems by William Butler Yeats. And I chose his poem Leda and the Swan. I love the final words, "Did she put on his knowledge with his power?" The painting is referencing knowledge learned by nature, amongst other personal and familial symbolism.
And the painting is ok, I want to stay away from making personal symbolic paintings. When I see mine, I sometimes feel as though I am looking into a mirror, and it's not the image I would like everyone to see. It's easier for me to communicate a message that isn't personal but one that shares and relates to more people. The reason why I am posting this image is because I did take the time to make this painting and it is a reflection on my development as artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment