Saturday, September 26, 2009

Paintings and Sketches September 2009

Sketch of a boot with ink and water color.
It's been an odd beginning. I've been painting pictures of mundane things. Someone told me there is a humbleness to these, but there is a vacancy due to an absence of person. The paintings of dying apples also hint at a fragility of life... it's been unconcious and unintentional. I need to change directions again... I need to figure out my true intentions quickly. I need to get up, my paintings from my fall semester last year. The reason is, I switched from complete subjectivity to complete objectivity. Complete subjectivity is personal, revealing, and doesn't connect with an audience. Complete objectivity... is just a painting.

I am afraid of the fact, the Hemlocks are dying, and scientists do not what type of tree is going to replace them. There is a lot of uncertainty, and contemporary artists confront this uncertainty with irony. Something sweet is hurting or bitter or is hiding darker intentions. I get it, but now I am going to work by connecting with other recent artists to figure out who they are, and what it means to be an artist today. It's not easy but I have to try.




No comments:

Post a Comment