Saturday, September 26, 2009

Check this out


Lucy Gans
My boyfriend and I met on Friday night. We went to see Lucy Gans show at Moravian College. I got excited because there is a hallway of these incredible self portraits in the student center. This is the artist, whose poster is on my wall. Her portraits are distraught, there is an incredible injustice against women. The fight for equality is far from over. There is still high statistics of domestic and work place abuse and crime against gener. The drawing representing the most intense statistics, the portrait covered her eyes. In other portraits sad truths caused her eyes well up with tears. I turned to Derek and asked him, "Do you think women are weak?" I felt sensitive over lost. I tried to follow the writing of ghostly, partially erased script beyond and below the portraits.
Her paintings spoke of truth and reality but also revealed emotion of a single person. Someone cares about these women. And when my boyfriend and I left, I knew two more people cared about these statistics and the women they represented.

Rob Sato

The show in the Metropolis gallery this month is Robert Sato. I loved the show. There were images of two faced people. Falling planes with trees attached to them. The images revealed destruction and battle. Man vs machine vs nature. There were painting of crime scene because the computer user was shot by video game he was playing. It was really grim... the realities we can play with.
In the middle of the gallery on the table was a Juxtapoz magazine. I stoped over images by an an artist known as Rockin Jelly Bean... I couldn't stand the images, I felt disgust and uncomfortable. I didn't like looking at images of highly sexualized women with ice cream or candy. I know it's a hyberbole on modern advertisements... but what about natural beauty and actual love for women... it's a superficial image... the paintings were missing everything I love about women, and being a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment